FAQs/ Victim FAQs

Victim FAQs

I was the victim of a crime. What services are available to me?
Our Victim Witness Unit offers a variety services to victims of crime. You may also call (916) 874-5701 to inquire about what services may be available to you as a crime victim.
I was the victim of a crime. Can you tell me the name of the defendant and the defendant’s next court date?
If the case has been submitted to our office by law enforcement and charges have been filed, we can provide you with the name of the defendant and the next court date. To obtain this information, please call (916) 874-6218 or email us at daoffice@sacda.org.
I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges. Can I do that?
All criminal complaints are prosecuted on behalf of the State of California. Only the prosecutor can issue or dismiss charges. Although the decision whether to prosecute or not prosecute is ultimately up to the prosecutor, the victim’s opinion is important and the prosecutor will take those wishes into account when making his or her decisions regarding the case.
I am the victim of domestic violence and want to make a report. How do I do this?
Please contact the law enforcement agency where the crime occurred. That agency is responsible for investigating domestic violence cases.
I am the victim of a crime and I want a restraining order to keep a person away from me. How do I do this?
We also work with victims and witnesses in obtaining criminal protective orders after a criminal case has been filed. If a case is presented and filed, the assigned prosecutor can request a criminal protective order in court. You may call our Victim Witness Unit at (916) 874-6218 to determine if either of these orders may be appropriate in your matter.
The judge ordered the defendant to pay restitution to me but I have not received anything. Who can help me?
If the defendant is on probation, restitution is usually paid through the Department of Revenue Recovery. You may call them at (916) 875-7500 or email them at DRRMail@saccounty.net. If the defendant is on formal probation, you may also contact the assigned probation officer by calling the Probation Agency at (916) 875-0300. You may also email the District Attorney's Office at restitution@sacda.org for inquiries regarding restitution.
How can I get my property returned in a criminal case?
When a criminal case has been resolved, our office sends a property release to the law enforcement agency that handled the case. You should contact that law enforcement agency directly. If they do not have a release on file, please contact our office at 916-874-6218 or daoffice@sacda.org and the attorney who handled the case will review your request and prepare a property release, if appropriate. In certain cases we are required to wait at least 60 days to see if an appeal is filed. If you are the victim, in many cases we may be able to have your property photographed and returned to you. We do not authorize the release of firearms or other contraband to defendants after a conviction.
I am the victim of identity theft. What should I do?
Call the California Department of Justice Identity Theft Registry 1-888-880-0240 or visit http://oag.ca.gov/idtheft, or the Identify Theft Resource Center 1-858-693-7935 or http://www.idtheftcenter.org/. To obtain a copy of the ID Theft Affidavit form for reporting identity theft, go to www.consumer.gov/idtheft, and also see "When Bad Things Happen to Your Good Name" on the same page. Report the identity theft crime to the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-2 for entry into the Consumer Sentinel database.


DA´s Office Reception 916.874.6218
DA´s Victim/Witness 916.874.5701
DA´s Domestic Violence 916.874.6171
Sacramento Sheriff 916.874.5115
Sacramento Police 916.264.5471
Citrus Heights Police 916.727.5500
Elk Grove Police 916.714.5115
Folsom Police 916.355.7234
Galt Police 209.366.7000
Rancho Cordova Police 916.875.9600
Community Resources

Copyright 2016 - All Rights Reserved by Sacramento District Attorney's Office.
California Relay Service 800.735.2929 TDD | Alternate Formats & Accessibility Policy | Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use