FAQs / General FAQs

General FAQs

How do I report a crime?
All crime reports should be directed to the law enforcement agency in the city or county where the crime occurred. The District Attorney's Office does not take crime reports. If you're trying to report an emergency situation, call 911 on your telephone to be connected to the emergency services you require.

However, there are some exceptions. Crimes involving consumer fraud, environmental crimes or those involving misconduct of public officials may be reported to the District Attorney's specialized divisions. Call us directly at 916-874-6218.
How do I get a copy of a police report?
Contact the police agency that created the report to obtain a copy.
Can I get information about a criminal case online?
There is no mechanism in place for public access to criminal records online. Contact the Sacramento County Superior Court at www.saccourt.ca.gov for this information.
Who decides what charges to file, and how do they make that decision?
Deputy district attorneys review cases brought to the District Attorney’s Office by law enforcement agencies. The facts are reviewed in light of current laws to decide whether criminal charges should be filed in court.
What happens at the arraignment, preliminary hearing, and pre-trial court dates?
The arraignment is a hearing in court in which the defendant is formally charged with an offense, given a copy of the complaint, and informed of his/her constitutional rights. The defendant enters a plea of guilty or not guilty at this hearing.

The preliminary hearing is not a trial. It is a hearing in court at which witnesses testify and the judge decides if there is enough evidence to require the defendant to stand trial. The jury is not present; the judge alone makes the decision.

A pre-trial conference is an opportunity for the parties to discuss the case with the judge, including possible dispositions and dates for future court hearings.
How can I find out where someone is incarcerated?
If an individual is incarcerated in Sacramento County, you can check the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office’s website at http://www.sacsheriff.com. Click on Inmate Information to search the Sacramento County jail inmate list.

To locate an inmate within the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), please call (916) 445-6713, which is accessible 24 hours a day. You must have either the inmate’s CDCR number or the inmate’s full name and date of birth to receive information. You can also find this information on the CDCR website at: http://inmatelocator.cdcr.ca.gov.
I want to file a complaint about a police officer or sheriff’s deputy. What do I do?
You should report the matter to the officer’s employing agency. Law enforcement agencies are required by law to receive complaints, investigate the matter, and respond back to the complaining party.
What if I have a question that is not answered in your FAQs?
Call (916) 874-6218 or visit our office at 901 G Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. Our receptionists will try to assist you; however, we cannot give legal advice on private legal issues.


DA´s Office Reception 916.874.6218
DA´s Victim/Witness 916.874.5701
DA´s Domestic Violence 916.874.6171
Sacramento Sheriff 916.874.5115
Sacramento Police 916.264.5471
Citrus Heights Police 916.727.5500
Elk Grove Police 916.714.5115
Folsom Police 916.355.7234
Galt Police 209.366.7000
Rancho Cordova Police 916.875.9600
Community Resources

Copyright 2016 - All Rights Reserved by Sacramento District Attorney's Office.
California Relay Service 800.735.2929 TDD | Alternate Formats & Accessibility Policy | Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use